2013 KRAMPUS LA AT DOWNTOWN ART WALK
Note: 2013 Event!!
On Thursday, December 12, LA’s monthly Downtown Art Walk will be overrun by a pack of homegrown Krampuses, the horned and furry yuletide devil who accompanies St. Nicholas on his rounds in alpine countries.
This European-style Krampus walk will be the first of its kind in the Western US and feature original suits created over the previous year by the Krampus Los Angeles Troupe. The public Krampus run or walk — Krampuslauf — is part of a centuries-old tradition, and Krampus LA organizers respect and adhere to that working model. At these events, Krampuses take to the streets or other public areas waving switches, rattling chains and bells and otherwise playfully menacing onlookers with the threat of “punishment” for the “sins” of the previous year. (NOTE: Krampus focuses his attention almost exclusively on thrill-seeking adults rather than children. Children presented by their parents may be greeted, but never frightened.)
This year’s beastly galumphing will be accompanied by a small marching musical ensemble — Free Range Orkestar substituting authentic Austrian folk music for their usual Balkan repertoire.
St. Nicholas will also be along to bestow some friendly blessings and goodies.
WANT TO COME IN KRAMPUS COSTUME?
Members of the general public not content to merely spectate or dodge switches are welcome to join us in costume. Because traditional Krampus costumes represent a sizable investment of resources, we encourage you to start ASAP and have provided some labor- and money-saving tips for those eager to undertake the challenge. We’ve also suggested some options for “Krampus-lite” costuming including potentially easier wardrobe worn by other traditional characters sometimes accompanying Krampus at these events.
Members of the public who show up in costumes demonstrating noteworthy effort, may be recruited as future Krampus LA troupe members.
We also need Krampus wranglers to help these ungainly beasts navigate through the crowd and other obstacles. If you think you may be able to help, do please get in touch. Getting to know you through volunteer activities is one way we gather potential recruits for future troupe membership.
COMING IN COSTUME? PLEASE NOTE:
All costumed participants joining us for the first time, must be at (The Art Walk Lounge) 634 S. Spring before 8pm. There, they will check in with a volunteer, providing guidelines for successful participation
- OBEY ALL TRAFFIC LAWS
- REMAIN IN CHARACTER
- BE PLAYFULLY FRIGHTENING
- USE SWITCHES WITH LIGHT TOUCH
- USE SWITCHES ONLY ON BACK AND REAR OF LEGS
- HYDRATE & VENTILATE
- STAY WITH THE GROUP AND MAINTAIN VISUAL CONTACT
- ASK FOR HELP WHEN NECESSARY
- KEEP VALUABLES AND PERSONAL ITEMS SECURE
- POSE FOR PICS
- WEAR SENSIBLE FOOTWEAR WHEN POSSIBLE
- BE RESPECTFUL OF PEOPLE & PROPERTY
- USE THE HELP OF WRANGLERS WHEN POSSIBLE
- TALK (KRAMPUS ONLY GROWLS)
- USE SWITCHES ON THE UPPER BODY
- ENGAGE WITH CHILDREN WITHOUT PARENTAL ENCOURAGEMENT
- ENGAGE WITH LESS-THAN ENTHUSIASTIC SPECTATORS
- BE OVERLY AGGRESSIVE WITH WOMEN
- TAUNT OR BE CONFRONTATIONAL WITH PEOPLE, PETS, DRIVERS
- VEER OFF FROM THE GROUP
- LEAVE TRASH OR DEBRIS ON THE STREETS
- IF SOMEONE IS VERY FEARFUL OF YOU, DON’T MAKE IT WORSE! GIVE THEM SPACE